CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 26, 2008

WanderLUST first single lacks luster

Gavin Rossdale has just released a much-anticipated solo single, the first in his solo album entitled WanderLUST, to be released June 3rd. Well, at least it's much-anticipated by those of us who remember his 90s Bush glory days. I don't think many of the kids these days know him as much more than Gwen's hubby, if they even recognize his name at all. This is a sad fact, since he really has one of those great rock voices and is unbelievably gorgeous - British accent and all. So, being a 90s child and Bush fan myself, I couldn't wait to hear this new solo project. But the first single (and admittedly the only song I've heard off the new record), "Love Remains the Same", lacks everything we loved about Bush: raw, edgy, anti-pop alternative rock. None of these adjectives describes "Love Remains the Same", which could have easily been written for the Jonas Brothers or any other pop singer, with its sentimental lyrics and gentle strumming. Where's the heavy "Machinehead" hook we couldn't help but air-guitar? Where are the haunting lyrics we heard in "Mouth"? And if a rock ballad is what Gavin wanted, why didn't he borrow the edgy feel of "Glycerine"? I'm giving Rossdale the benefit of the doubt, 'cause we've got history. I'll be waiting to hear his next single with the same anticipation I had before I heard "Love Remains the Same". Your move, Gavin.

Gavin Rossdale

0 comments: