CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 25, 2008

A grunge girl's R&B picks

Although, like Remy Nicole, I prefer rock and roll, every once in a while a hip hop or R&B song catches my ear, and as much as I'd like to disdain it with all my alternative might, I can't deny the love. As part of my catharsis, and at the risk of losing all street cred that I may have as a suburban, church-going, middle class mom, I'm going public. After all, I did do a report on The Temptations in 8th grade. That makes me a pseudo-expert at the very least. Here are some of my top R&B/hip hop picks, plucked right from, yes I admit, my personal collection. Enjoy.

You Don't Know My Name, Alicia Keys. My first Alicia Keys song. The background vocals provide a right-on Motown throwback feel, and the piano is positively heavenly.

With You, Chris Brown. The kid can sing, yes, but he can also dance like nobody's business. Indeed, Mr. Brown is bringing dancing back (with a little help from some highly rated television talent shows).

Rhymin and Stealin, Beastie Boys. An unprecedented blend of hip hop and caucasian-ness, with a twist of rock guitar in there for good measure.

Thank You , Boyz II Men. I'm a 90's child, aren't I? And I'm known for my loyalty. With its feel good beat and message, this song has seeped into my DNA, forever to stay with every other album that made the top 40 while I was in middle school.

Party's Goin' On, Busta Rhymes. Must be the opening line: "Ever since Jimmy cracked corn / Rockin' on ever since the day I was born."

Dreamlover, Mariah Carey. Ever since I was in grade school, Ms. Carey's voice has utterly enchanted me. It inspired me. How is that upper, upper register opener even freaking possible for a human? Astounding. It's been sad to watch apparent plastic surgery do the opposite of what it's supposed to do in her case, but I'll die a fan, no matter how glamorized and self-absorbed Mariah becomes with each passing decade.

Chante's Got a Man, Chante Moore. The counter attack to man-hating feministas, this slow jam features Chante's soulful voice melodically explaining to her luckless friend that she's sorry that the friend's boyfriend is cheating on her, but "there's good men around" and she's got proof: "she's got a man at home." Love the gospel choir near the end, too. Come to think of it, the next song on the album talks about making her man breakfast and says "Loving you is easy." Men could use more chicks like Chante, and less like Carrie Underwood (see "Reverse Sexism" blog below).

Rollin' With My Homies, Coolio. I just keep thinking of Brittany Murphy (pre mind blowing makeover) doing the little hand jive on Clueless. Classic.

I Wanna Know, Joe. One of my husband's and my songs. The chorus lyrics are a little trite: "I wanna know what turns you on" sounds more like infatuation than long lasting partnership. But the music is top notch.

Doo Wop (That Thing) One of the few that I can still actually rap every word to. Of course, I don't think I'm in the minority, since this song was EVERYWHERE when it came out. It's downright tragic that Lauryn Hill is no longer making award show headlines like she was in 1998. Something in this world would be missing if The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill never happened.

It's All Good, R. Kelly. I have no clue what "Trackmaster" means, and I firmly believe that Mr. Kelly should be locked up for a very long time if he has had inappropriate relations with underage girls. Regardless, this song is groovin'.

Bag Lady, Erykah Badu. So authentic, it's ridiculous. I cannot physically stand still when this song comes on. It transforms me into a soulful gospel singer. Yeah, it's that good.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like music, but have not been listening alot till we got online. I have my mp3 and now after reading a few of your blogs I am ready to buy. Thanks